Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pale is Beautiful







Hey kids! Hope you’re staying cool out there and don’t forget your sun block. Prevention is the best medicine and UVA/UVB rays are the #1 cause of premature aging. Listen to your good friend fishbelly when I tell you that summertime isn’t the only time to protect your face from the sun’s harmful rays – I wear SPF 30 year round! Skinceuticals makes a great one, though a tad pricey, it goes on clear so it doesn’t leave that milky white residue and it’s light so I can wear it over my moisturizer and under my makeup. I read in InStyle that J.Lo uses the same kind. She’s a Leo too!

So, speaking of pale I would like to introduce you to the Ghost Lady of Walnut Street (see the picture I took while waiting in line at the fruit salad cart). I am guessing she is probably in her mid 80s and she is white white. Like opaque powder white which she compliments with bright matte coral lipstick, a heavy handed application of blush, and a weeks worth of mascara. She always wears a wide brimmed hat, short skirt, and those ballet flat type Sketchers with the criss cross straps – the kind middle schoolers wear. I first noticed her a couple months ago when she was aimlessly pacing in front of Alma de Cuba and since then this strange behavior has been consistent. She has this lost expression on her face and what she will do is slowly walk down a block, stop on the corner and just stand there for a couple minutes before arbitrarily choosing another direction in which to continue the same process. Each time she always has a shopping bag from a fancy store (you can see that day she was at Tiffany’s) like Burberry, Joan Schepp, Cole Haan, etc.

This woman is an enigma to me. I am fascinated. I want to know her story. Crazy lady with money always makes a good one.
Sorry the picture isn't great but I have been keeping my camera in my purse hoping to snap a better shot of this elusive creature.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Maybe next time you should buy her a coffee, or a cheeseburger- looks like she needs food, and hear her life story....and then report back.

Kate said...

PS: I had a conversation with 'my buddy, Bill' (a grumpy old architectural historian I've been trying to win over who loves to name drop) the other day. He was telling me about his meetings with Louis Kahn in Rittenhouse Square during the 60's and 70's. It inspired me to watch 'My Architect' over the weekend, a doc I had only seen parts of before. You caught Kahn's office building in the shot of the ghost lady.

AJO said...

I miss the fruit salad cart!

KEITH said...

I've seen that lady and your pictures don't capture the crazy look in her eyes. I agree with Kate, this warrants further investigation.

Hadass said...

From a distance in the picture, it kind of looks like you, maybe if you were wearing an outifit like that. I can not tell it is an old lady at all.

Hadass said...

BTW, I also know Kate's "buddy, Bill" and maybe he and this ghost lady would have a nice little relationship together. Well, if she were a man. And if she could put up with his conceitedness and self indulgence and only listen to stories about him and everyone he knows and has met, and believe me, he knows every human that has ever lived in the history of the world, or at least the important ones.