Thursday, August 2, 2007

Flowers in the Attic


Did you ever see that movie? It was one of the most popular made-for-TV movies of all time and my sister and I loved it. It was taken from one of those cheesy cut out cover horror novels you can find in drug stores alongside the regular old bodice rippers and big sellers like She’s Come Undone, Lovely Bones, The Secret, and whatever new Tom Clancy/John Grisham vehicle the publishing houses are pushing. I thought the book was riveting with its adult subject matter and curse words since I must have been around 12 at the time. It was something about these kids who lost their father and were left penniless so they and their mother moved back into her parent’s house. The kids were kept hidden in the attic by their sociopath grandmother who tells them that (I am not exactly sure about this part) that their parents were half-uncle and niece so the shame of their existence was kept hidden from their mother’s dying father. This is because if they were found out by dying grandfather then their mother wouldn’t get her inheritance and they would remain poor. So, they are locked in the attic for several years while their mother is manipulated by their grandmother who slowly tries to kill them by sprinkling little bits of arsenic on their donuts. Oh, and the two oldest children, after years of isolation and reaching adolescence, form an incestuous relationship kinda like Brooke Shields and that guy with the blond curly haired guy did in The Blue Lagoon. Good stuff.

So I got a little carried away with that but… where was I going with this… oh, yeah, this is going to be my last post for 3 weeks or so since I will confined to the second floor of my parents house similar to that book/movie. I doubt it will be as bad. My parents have a lovely deck off their bedroom upstairs so I can be outside (and maybe get a little tan), they have cable in my old bedroom and my dad said he will put a mini fridge in my room too. Neato! The only thing is since I won’t be downstairs to get to the computer and have two days of work left and I have a lot to do to get all my ducks in a row. Feel free to call me and chat on your lunch breaks since that will probably when I will be the most bored. My dad will be at work and my mom got some scholarship to this artistic education camp where she is taking some strange sculpture class where she is building an alter and gluing buttons on trees. She is also taking an interpretive movement/dance class. That woman sure keeps herself busy…

So have fun and I’ll see you when I see you!


Don't worry about me, I will stay away from any donuts my parents bring me.


Oh, and I just found out that after a long arduous battle with my insurance provider I was approved for my out of network care! Just goes to show you crying will get you anything you need.
--wait, I will have one more post I will put up tomorrow of my new playlist/song recommendations. Its so good it will make your heart stop.

2 comments:

Hadass said...

I am still waiting on the last set of songs. But I know you are busy, so I will be patient a little longer. I guess at least another 3 or 4 weeks, huh?

I love that movie too! I always felt naughty for watching it because, like you said, we were like 12 or 13 when it came out, and everybody was talking about how risque and adult it was. Even now when I watch it, it still seems like this totally sensitive subject material, even though I have seen far worse at this point, and they don't even show anything in the movie anyways. It is still such a good movie though.

KEITH said...

I've never heard of that movie and I'm glad I didn't. It looks really creepy. I think it would've given me nightmares.