Friday, April 11, 2008

Enter Spring


This mix is about as easy breezy (beautiful covergirl) as I get but still has the balance between fast and slow, mixing local bands, old favorites, and new finds. As always, ask and ye shall receive.

1. It's A Fine Day - Jane
2. Radio Nowhere - Bruce Springsteen
"Magic" is one of the best albums of the past year and with this song the Boss still proves that he is, well, the Boss. It has a powerful repetition of lyrics that reminds me of one of my other all time favorite songs, Unsatisfied by The Replacements. I play this song REALLY loud with the windows down in my car on nice days.
3.Lake Michigan - Rough Wave
4. Ok, It's Alright With Me - Eric Hutchinson
Get up and dance!
5. The General Specific - Band of Horses
Band of Horses is one of my favorites so it was hard for me to pick just one song off their latest album "Cease to Begin". I saw them at the TLA a couple months back and they blew my mind. The whole experience was transcendental and left me walking on air for the next few days.
6. Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? - She and Him
My Dad recently purchased their album "Volume 1" so I've been listening to it a lot at work. It makes me smile.
7. Heavenly Day - Patty Griffin
This song is like a warm breeze blowing across a green meadow under a cloudless blue sky...
8. The Pilgiming Vine - Basia Bulat
I have a post about her show at the Tin Angel that I haven't gotten around to finishing. She and I got into a lengthy discussion about Daniel Johnston (who I had seen at the Troc the week earlier) and Lou Reed. I will try to get that one up soon. She is cute as a button
9. My Eyes - Travis
My beloved band Travis delivers once again.
10. Waiting for My Real Life to Begin - Colin Hay
11.Angels Hung Around - Rilo Kiley
Jenny Lewis has a voice as sweet and smooth as strawberry ice cream. In this song she makes peace with her past.
"And I feared the best and loved the worst
And insisted that I go first
And watch your eyes as they poured
And I never really loved you more."
12. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
It doesn't get more light hearted and optimistic than this.
13. The Emergency - Gileah & The Ghost Train
14. Cheer My Up Thank You - New Buffalo
15. Sunny Road - Emiliana Torrini
At this point I am so impressed that I can put together such a sunny CD that I still identify with.
16. My Own Worst Enemy - George Stanford
17. Walt Whitman Bridge - Marah
A local band who has had oodles of critical praise but not the commercial success to match. I think they are amazing and so does Nick Hornby. Another place and another time I think he and I could have really been something.
18. Just Like That - Dar Williams and Patty Larkin
If songs could hug...






3 comments:

Hadass said...

Sign me up. I need some nice fun springy music. And I am very curious to see what a light fun breezy springy Colleen mix CD sounds like.

KEITH said...

Yay, another Colleen mix! Or as I like to think of it, my only access to new music.

Kate said...

I want to be on the list!