Thursday, April 3, 2008

Whatever. Make fun of me. I don't care.




I played with Barbies till I was in 6th grade. Sad, I know but if you knew me in middle school I was a pretty sad character in general. I had full braces, brassy unkempt hair, and a fashion sense that was a little too edgy for Cinnaminson Middle School. Think Clarissa Explains it All but not quite daring and I sure as hell didn’t have the confidence to pull off the look. At least I had clear skin…

In general I would prefer to clear my mind of any memory of 1990 through 1994. Ah, but the 80’s. That is when I really shined. I held court daily in the Rush Elementary School Playground. I danced to The Clash & Michael Jackson records with my mom and spent my days playing with Autumn and Timmy in the back yard. Life was good and best of all I had my Chrystal Barbie. I was devastated when I found out my mother threw away/donated all my Barbies as soon as went to college. So today I decided to go to hit up ebay and bid on Chrystal Barbie.

I am currently the high bidder.

I’ll keep you posted on the status of the auction.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280214611793&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123




Do any of you long for a childhood toy you no longer have. Glow Worm, Weebles, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony? Perhaps a Pound Puppy?

6 comments:

KEITH said...

I still won't let me mom throw out most of my old toys. I'm pretty sure I still have a dresser drawer full of Transformers in my old room. But to this day I still long for the Megatron I never had as a kid. Sure, I had Galvatron (who was the suped-up version of Megatron) but I always wanted the original.

Ringo said...

I had a sweet collection of Matchbox Cars. I think my Mom gave them to some family-friend. I don't know. I really, really liked them. I wish I could just look at them, and reminisce.

Kate said...

My brother and I were just talking about how hip I was in 1987 to have the ipod grandmother, Pocket Rockers. During long car rides to the shore in our station wagon, I was the envy of all 3 brothers when I only had to subject one ear to our parents Al Jureau tapes because the other ear neatly held a white earjack that led to my pink Pocket Rocker. Each tape played about 3/4 of 2 songs, one song per side. I could entertain the people in traffic behind us, as I did my Walk Like an Egyptian dance in the 'way back' of the family wagon. I looked at that Pocket Rockers and my 1"x1" mini tapes and thought, yeah, this is what Huey Lewis must mean when he sings its hip to be square. Only a true Pocket Rockers owner could fully understand the meaning of that song. And who needs more than 3/4 of a Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, or NKOTB song anyway? Not when you can eject the tape, flip it, reinsert it, fast forward through the other side, eject, flip, reinsert, and listen to it again!

KEITH said...

No way was that thing called "Pocket Rocker" and marketed to children!

Kate said...

I forgot how you could wear the tapes clipped to your clothing or around your neck. Check out this Youtube, those inner-city kids look SO cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL0wjiBYic8

Hadass said...

I LOVED Strawberry Shortcake. My entire room was done in Strawberry Shortcake, from the bedspread to the curtains to the rug to the sheets. But my favorite was this little dresser with a stool that was pink and red and white and had strawberries painted all over it that someone had made for me and put some Strawberry Shortcake stickers on it. I loved it. It had a mirror in the center. I think it was put in my mom's basement crawlspace and got ruined and I think she ended up throwing it away and not telling me. I would have loved to pass that on to my kids. I had a huge collection of stuffed animals that were ruined too from the same thing. Damn basement!