Friday, November 30, 2007

"The DJ that speaks to my insomnia and laughs at all I have to fear"


I am often asked “Colleen, how can one woman be so apprised in the music sphere? You blow my mind with your erudition and thought provoking insights.” Well, my little coterie, it doesn’t happen overnight. I wasn’t born with this but I was born with an intense personality that helps facilitate my insatiable need for music that helps my life make sense.

Also, I have YRock on XPN. I listen to it all day at work, in my car, and at home. http://www.yrockonxpn.org/

Their focus is on contemporary alternative music but they will often play artists who influenced said music so if you stick with the program you will develop a familiarity with the roots of alternative, punk, and rock. Plus you get to listen to marvelous new music and wonderful DJs who really know their stuff.

Program Director Jim McGuinn (see picture with him hanging with Iggy Pop and with an autographed guitar – I think he looks like Sting) is my musical guru and I am his devoted disciple. He understands that music isn’t just music. It is emotive and visceral to people like he and I. It’s life blood and like life it is a learning process.

Go forth with this knowledge and touch lives.

Title is from the Dar Williams' song "Are you out there"

2 comments:

Hadass said...

You are my music guru. I definitely feel like I know more than most of my friends, but I still have a long way to go to catch up with you, oh mighty one.

KEITH said...

Colleen, you know so much about music that I can't even talk to you about it. It's like you speak another language.