Friday, November 30, 2007

Maybe If Camping Looked Like This...


Always had a roof above me
Always paid the rent
but I've never set foot inside a tent
Can't build a fire to save my life
I lied about being the outdoor type
I've never slept out underneath the stars,
the closest that I came to that was one time my car
broke down for an hour in the suburbs at night
I lied about being the outdoor type.

Too scared to let you know
you knew what you were looking for
I lied until I fit the bill
God bless the great indoors
I've never owned a sleeping bag never rode a mountain bike
I lied about being the outdoor type
I can't go away with you on a rock climbing weekend
What if somethings on TV and its never shown again?
Its just as well I'm not invited I'm afraid of heights
I lied about being the outdoor type

Never learned to swim
can't grow a beard or even fight
I lied about being the outdoor type


-Evan Dando's The Outdoor Type from the Lemonhead's Car, Button, Cloth album

I didn’t lie about it and now I think a certain manboy doesn’t like me because of that. So what? It’s not like I’m a shut-in. It is just so typical because guys will roll their eyes at large salon bills or make up clutter then proceed to talk about how they want a woman that will be "cool" enough to sit around watching football drinking beer and eating hot dogs. Yet, they don’t want a woman who looks like she sits around drinking beer and eating hot dogs all the time. They want some mythical There’s Something About Mary-type woman who wakes up with an airbrush perfect face and Breck girl hair.
Sure, I would not be compatible with someone who’s only idea of vacation is camping or likes to hunt or climb mountains in the winter and icky stuff like that. I get it, but for someone with a generally active interest in something that I am not inclined to enjoy, it shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t expect some guy to share my passion for gossip magazines or be a music know-it-all like I am. I would not make someone feel bad that I have to attend an avant garde installation exhibit with lecture solo. I would prefer to enjoy it without worrying about that person being bored and be able to linger as long as I want.
Why can't people celebrate the differences? To each her/his own.

I am what I is. I don’t false advertise. Take it or leave it.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38308

5 comments:

Kate said...

I hear ya. Remember in Clueless when Cher corrected Josh's flannel- wearing girlfriend for implying that Mel Gibson spoke the words "to thine own self be true"? We can learn a lot from Alicia Silverstone....maybe. I appreciate nature. I work for an environmental consulting firm (for 2 more weeks anyway). I work outside. I enjoy my time in the fresh open air. But do I want to spend hours in an all-wheel drive vehicle, load up on granola and power bars, strap on some day hike boots a glorified fannypack and carry a handheld GPS unit, just to walk through nature on the weekends? I find more enjoyment and fulfillment by walking a few blocks to my favorite neighborhood coffee shop for some fairtrade organic espresso, bagel, and newspaper. In this world we are lucky enough to live in a country that is developed enough to allow us the opportunity to choose our own lifestyle. I say: choose and let choose.
(vote for kate in 2008!)

Hadass said...

I myself like camping. I don't mind sleeping in a tent under the stars, as long as it is on an air mattress, and my honey is there with his loaded gun. But it is peaceful and relaxing, as long as you don't overload on the hiking nonsense. When we go camping, there is usually plenty of beer involved, smores, campfires, ghost stories, and easy living. We do walk around the campgrounds or woods or wherever we are, but I would hardly call it hiking. Anyone who knows me knows that I ain't down with that much physical exertion.

I am surprised at you Kate. I mean, with that "How to live in Nature" book or whatever the hell that thing was called, you should be a pro.

KEITH said...

I can't help but think that camping isn't really the problem here . . .

Colleen said...

Not just camping. That was an example of me not being particularly outdoorsy. Some might also interpret that as me being prissy like those women in camping movies that can't deal with the wilderness and wear curlers and facial masks in the tents. I don't think I am prissy or high .

Colleen said...

maintenance.