Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Go To Your Happy Place

Its election time in Philadelphia and frankly I am exhausted. I'm voting Tom Knox for mayor and trying to convince everyone else that they should too with much success but even I am sick of hearing myself speak. I am tired to reading the newspapers and watching the debates. I am tired of listening to Philadelphians like myself bitch about what needs to be done here in "America's Next Great City" when I should just be happy that somebody other than deadbeat John Street is going to run the show. I am tired. Tired of hating Bush and Cheney, criticizing FEMA, GOP and... ugh.

Every once in a while I get sick of listening to music and may go a month without turning on my car radio or putting on CDs at home. I have a tendancy to overload my brain which can happen on occasion as I am not very intelligent. Sure, I know a ton of stuff about a ton of things but that doesn't make me smart. I can barely do basic arithmetic let alone figure out anything when it comes to computer except shop online.

For the past few weeks I haven't been able to relax. My nature is type A, tightly wound but my normal remedies to help me chill haven't been working. I'm a Leo and we are known to be intense and passionate people. So last night I made a concious descion to turn off CNN, put the CDs away, stop listening to NPR, close the books, and focus on cleaning my clutter plauged house in silence. As I was putting away my notebooks a clipping from a magazine I saved from a few years ago fell out. I think how it's message relates to my current state of mind is uncanny. After reading it I finally felt a little relief and so even though some might think it is cheesy I am going to share it with you. It is by Rumi, a 13th-century Sufi poet and it goes:

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."

Isn't that nice?

4 comments:

Hadass said...

Thank you for that. I really needed that this week.

Kate said...

First of all, Street sucks.
Secondly, I too feel cluttered and crazy, and had a very difficult decision to make this morning: slap my frustrating as Hell Romanian professor (she's from Romania, not teaching about it) OR drink what ever tequilla was left over from this weekend. I hate decisions like this.
and Thirdly, I had a wild anxiety dream about you last night. Chrystal called and said 'where are you the weddings in an hour?' and when I asked 'what wedding?' she informed me it was Colleen and Dan's and then realised that she put her foot in her mouth because I had not been invited. So, I turned all bitchy and said 'who is this DAN anyway?' and she informed me that he made a fortune as a "roller". Kind of like a dog-walker, but he put skates on the dogs and rolled them around town. He also apparently strapped skates to paralyzed folks, laid them on all fours, attatched a leash, and rolling them around town. Everyone assured me that Dan was the best guy ever and you two were perfect. The anxiety came when you offered me a pitty invite to the wedding claiming the original invite got lost in the mail, AND THEN I discovered that my best pair of 'wedding jeans' had a whole in them.
Anxiety while sleeping, but made me laugh as I remebered it during teethbrushing.

Colleen said...

Dan certainly sounds perfect to me! Being a "roller" sounds awsome and making a fortune off it sounds even better.

Handicap people probably would like to be rolled around town. Gets em outta the house.

Take a break and come home for my par-tay June 16th!

Hadass said...

I almost wet my pants while reading that. That sounds like some crazy dreams that I have. I am so glad you think of me while you are sleeping.

You should do both: slap the professor (because who the hell is from Romania anymore, that is stupid), and drink the tequila. Well actually do those in the reverse order, than at least you have an excuse for the slapping that might hold up in court.