Monday, May 7, 2007

Something for Everyone

Now that the weather is warmer it is the perfect time to sit outside, soak up some sun and read a book. Here are a few of my recommendations.

The Secret History – Donna Tart
Ok, I didn’t just read this but noticed it as I was re-organizing my bookshelf. Clay (bless his heart. He ment well) moved all my books around to make it look nicer but I had them in order. Mostly autobiographically, as in when I read them, kinda like the character Rob in High Fidelity did with his albums. This was not intentional but just how it worked out. I have on the end books I bought that I have not read yet and the exception is how I lumped books by the same author together. I am the only person who takes books out of there so it works for me (Keith, I want that Fran Lebowitz book back. Its been a year and if you haven’t read it by now you never will). Anyway, as I was moving the books around and I came across this one. I read this a few years ago and it is fantastic. Although it does not take place in the South is considered by many critics to be written in the style of a Southern Gothic novel. It is a little long but don’t let that deter you. Again, it’s fantastic.

Tepper isn’t Going Out – Calvin Trillin
I just read this and it’s short so I read it in the Hilary-style one sitting. Such a good little book. Funny, smart, endearing… basically classic Trillin. Good spring read.

Candide – Voltaire
Well, I don’t recommend reading this because it is pretentious and dull but I am quite proud of myself for completing it and wanted to tell someone. Is it part of the Canon? I wanted to punch out a classic and this one was the shortest I could find. Only ninety pages even though it felt like two hundred.

The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke – Suze Orman
I wouldn’t have used the word “broke” in the title because it is really for people just starting out who might have student loans, credit card debt, or not making a lot of money yet. It is a great too for setting up your finances and acquiring early on responsible spending habits. I had been wondering if I should put more towards paying off my student loans or put it into savings and she laid it out for me. If you are under 30 now is to set up your IRA and plan your financial goals for the future. She talks about how newly married or couples living together should keep some assets separate and which ones to share. She is straightforward and makes the book an entertaining read. Her lists and personal stories about being a personal finance advisor keep it from being a dry despite the subject matter. I am going to bring it to the little financial planning party my friends and I are having this weekend. I am going to go ahead and “nerd alert” myself and my close Philly buds for you.

1 comment:

KEITH said...

Has it really been a year? That book is so delightful that I was pacing myself because I didn't want to finish it. The thought of not having any more of Fran Lebowitz's little gems to look forward to was just too much to bear . . . and, uh, then I sort of forgot about it.