Thursday, June 14, 2007

What Is Tommy Listening To?

I bet it's my new playlist!


World Before Columbus – Suzanne Vega
I remember listening to my Architectural Drawing II one hot summer in Savannah on repeat. Playing it takes me back there being all sweaty walking to class and smoking outside on the side tables of Eichberg Hall smoking cigarettes with Chrystal. Our prof. was Scottish and really pretty. She only wore black.

The Sadness – Ryan Adams
This is off his latest album 29 and unlike anything he had put out before. It has a Spanish/Mexican feel to it plus I love it when he hits that falsetto. I just found out that his XPN Friday Free At Noon Concert is sold out. How can a free concert be sold out? I'm a little pissed I didn't know about it.

Love is Everything – Jane Siberry
She recently changed her name to Issa (eeee-sah) after a long career as a musician and conceptual artist. I am not too surprised as this woman is a new agey space cadet. I saw her perform at The Painted Bride which is a haven for performance art. She was very…beguiling.

St. Augustine – Band of Horses
Because my best is still my worst.

Hold On, Hold On – Neko Case
Leslie and I are gearing up to see her with Rufus Wainwright in August. Girlfriend loves the reverb and the reverb loves her. I find it interesting that when I saw her at the Troc Martha Wainwright opened. Her voice is jaw dropping.

What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life – Barbara Streisand
The recording of this song I have is off Just For The Record… It is a demo so when she sings it you feel like Babs is right there in the room with you. I hear she is touring again. You have to pay for the whole seat but you'll only need the edge.

Yer So Bad – Tom Petty
Not a huge Tom Petty fan although I will check out his albums whenever one drops. Why you ask? Because of this song.

The Ride – Joan as Police Woman
This song is hot off the presses and worth checking out. I heard it on XPN where I agreed with Jim McGuinn (host of Y-Rock) that it is mesmerizing.

Travis – Love Will Come Through
The world needs more songs like this.

I Want To Marry You All Over Again – Derek Webb
How sweet is that title? New music you would be wise to check out.

King of Yesterday – Jude
This is a catchy pop song that I discovered on an episode of Felicity (her senior year). I don’t care what anyone thinks; the two Felicity soundtracks are fantastic.

In Love But Not At Peace – Dar Williams
I am going through a Dar renaissance these days in part to all the driving I have been doing during the weekends for the past couple months. Her music is great sing-a-long stuff for the car.
“The moon hangs above like a Valium pill and I say that I will be fine but I don’t think that I will. But today I have work and I like it that way, It's a case of a still life gone cinéma vérité ”
I used that lyric for a paper on a David Lodge’s “Nice Work” at Villanova. The professor loved it so much he started listening to Dar. I like to validate my love for reality tv by calling it cinéma vérité.

Accidental Babies – Damien Rice
This is a hopeful yet realistic song about the parts of our future happiness we cannot control and not knowing if you will love someone forever. That fear.

Fire Sign – David Berkely
I’m a fire sign (Leo) and so are both my brother (Saggittarius) and sister (Aries). I went to World Café to check out his show where I ran into my friend Marissa at the bar who had never seen him perform. I told her “he is really good live but his albums are a total snooze fest”. Right after I said that he came out to greet his buddies who were right in front of us and I noticed they looked at me when I said it. Open mouth insert foot.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Do you remember that scottish prof's name? Was she friends with Sam Miller, who was really really skinny and taught electronic design? A certain co-worker of mine, who's name may or may not begin with C, claims to have dated her. I never had her, and neither of us can remember her name. Yeah, maybe that doesn't say a lot about him...but he is running a marathon in Alaska next week to raise money for cancer.

Colleen said...

Eileen McGonnagle? Something like that. I ran into her at Apres one night when I was really fucked up. I don't even want to know what I said to her.

Sam Miller managed to life off ciggarettes and diet coke. She was a really good professor though.

Hadass said...

Yes, it was Eileen McGonigle. She seemed like quite the partier. Didn't she tell us stories about her going out with her friends back home and acting crazy and wild? I seem to remember that for some reason. She was definitely one of the best professors to have for a summer class. She was pretty laid back.

Kate said...

I relayed the info to my coworker, who apparently I previously let too much informtation out about and was told I not only fell off the "trust tree" but I fell under a pile of dog poo next to the "trust tree" (there was a diagrams drawn up to illustrate my fall). However, he was happy to find that professor's name, looked her up, and apparently she is teaching in Manchester now. And Colin wanted me to tell you that the offer stands for whenever you next visit Savannah.

Colleen said...

I am so flatterd that Colin still wants to have sex with me.

That's sweet.

Hadass said...

See, you've still got it after all.

Oh, and if that's what flatters you, then my brother thinks you are really hot, and has wanted to hook up with you since we came to visit in Dec 05. He really thought he might have a chance at the wedding, but I shot him down for you.