Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Another Grace Kelly?

Today I was a little bored and procrastinating so decided to finally look over the grant applications for the New Century Trust of which I am on the board. I had met with the director of Arts In Motion, Eric Haeker who is very passionate and is deeply committed to the evolution of classical music as well as the improving the lives of under privileged youth in Philly. Great guy, a little intense, and that is saying something coming from me as I can be pretty intense. I’m a Leo, what can I say? He showed me his studio to give an informal presentation of what AIM does and I even got to make my own music and burn it onto a CD. Very cool, but uncomfortable with people kissing my ass.

Las week he CCd me the applications, proposal, budgets and so on for his organization as well as the ones for Youth Empowerment Services (he is a grant writer as well and felt that their organization was in line with our mission). I basically just skimmed over the cover letters when I received them but today I thought I would open all the attachments before I met with the Grant Committee Chairwoman this evening for cocktails at the Union League (fancy and so grownup). For some reason she loves me and always wants to take me to events to discuss Trust business. I am on the Executive Committee now so now there is more work involved for me. Since both organizations were so nice to me as well as being worthy causes I thought I would really put in a good word for both of them.

I started with Arts In Motion proposal for a program they wanted to have at Girl’s High here in Philly where only 50% of the students reach graduation day. Sad, I know. Well, Eric was going into the school and its history and then I noticed something very odd about the list of some of their graduates…

Girls’ High: This school continues to leave its mark on history. Selected graduates are below:
• C. Delores Tucker - Civil rights activist, first African American Secretary of State in PA (1971-77)
• Constance Clayton - First woman and first African American superintendent of Phila. schools
• Shirley Franklin - First woman mayor of Atlanta, GA
• Judith Rodin - First woman president of the University of Pennsylvania
• Virginia Knauer - Economic advisor to three U.S. Presidents
• Hon. Dolores Korman Sloviter – first female Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals (3rd Circuit)
• Susan Mines - Queen of Leichtenstein
• Hon. Lisa Richette - Judge, writer, child welfare activist
• Hon. Frederica Massiah-Jackson - Judge, educator
• Jessie Redmon Fauset - Harlem Renaissance writer
• Barbara Clementine Harris - First woman bishop in the Anglican church, civil rights activist
• Marcia Greenberger - Founder and Co-President of the National Women's Law Center

Queen of Leichtenstein? Seriously?

7 comments:

Hadass said...

Well everybody has to be qualified to do something.

I love Shirley Franklin. Very wonderful lady and amazing to meet and talk to in person. She has done some really great things for Atlanta.

Kate said...

So what you're saying is, all you need is a high school diploma to be queen?
hmmm, something witty about Chris should come to mind here, but it's still a little early and I've been reading too much preservation theory.....
sound like awesome organizations though.

Kate said...

PS:
yesterday my group partners and I stepped into Mellow Mushroom to discuss our project over happy hour. A dude with unusual hair was sitting at the bar and my classmate said, "that guy's hair reminds me of Jimmy's."
I about spit some beer, for I knew there was no one else she could possibly be talking about other than, of course, Jimmy-the-Bob. She then told me that a good friend of hers had come to know a story about "Jimmy-the-Shim" who prostituted HER way across Tybee to afford a sex change op and become the now infamous Jimmy. And, yes, she too was able to recall his dancing skills set to the music of Rock Lobster. So interesting! I told her the story Miss Carol told us about him being in a horrible car accident and needing to continously go in for reconstructive plastic surgery on his face. A likely cover story for Adam's Apple implants?? Who knows, but we're staking out Pinkie's this weekend to further explore....

Hadass said...

Well, Chris did have some story about how if so many people died, he would become the Queen of Sweden. So really, anybody can be Queen.

Hadass said...

There is a special place in all of our hearts for the Bob.

Colleen said...

Remember when I got drunk and actually had a conversation with him? My friend Stephen kept calling him "Bob" and he was all confused so i said "My friend Chrystal says that your name is Jimmy!"

Funny stuff.

Hadass said...

Yes, I remember the "My friend Chrystal says" comments. There were several. I wanted to start giving out a fake name when I went into Pinkie's so everybody wouldn't know it was me giving out all the info around town.