Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Eat Your Vegtables , Read Your Books

Another list of books I recently read that I think you may enjoy:

Housekeeping vs. Dirt – Nick Hornby
Nick Hornby is the premier author for disillusioned men in their 20’s and 30’s. He is the writer of bestsellers made into movies such as About A Boy, Fever Pitch, and High Fidelity. I picked up this one, his most recent, at Joseph Fox last week and read it in one sitting. It is a book about books he read and it is entertaining as hell. As a finalist for The National Book Critics Circle for Criticism, Nick is a gifted critic as well as a beloved novelist. In this book he covers books by authors ranging from Voltaire to Motley Crue .

Heartburn
– Nora Ephron
Ok, I mentioned her twice recently so I felt I should suggest something of hers. Nora is known for her sharp wit and compassionate humor. This is a novel based on the breakup of her own marriage and it is a beautiful, heartbreaking book. If you want something lighter of hers read her new one I Feel Bad About My Neck. It’s hilarious.

Inventing a Nation – Gore Vidal
Everybody should read at least one book by him and this is a good one. He is a national treasure.

I Like You - Sandol Stoddard and Jacqueline Chwast
A novelty book that is so good. If you read this without feeling something then you need to take a trip to Oz and get yourself a heart stat. I keep my copy in my sock drawer until I find someone special enough to give it to.

On Bullshit - Harry G. Frankfurt
An essay in a cute little book by a Princeton philosophy professor that is a good, quick read. One reviewer said: This compact little book, as pungent as the phenomenon it explores, attempts to articulate a theory of this contemporary scourge--what it is, what it does, and why there's so much of it. The result is entertaining and enlightening in almost equal measure. It can't be denied; part of the book's charm is the puerile pleasure of reading classic academic discourse punctuated at regular intervals by the word "bullshit." More pertinent is Frankfurt's focus on intentions--the practice of bullshit, rather than its end result.

If you check any of them out drop me a line and we can discuss.

No comments: