Thursday, April 19, 2007

O Captain, My Captain!

Last May I said I was going to complete Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass by the end of summer. I made it to page 24. This May I will take another stab at it. It is a classic for Christ’s sake. Bill Clinton gave a first edition copy to Monica Lewinsky. I should read it.

I made the same promise about Norman Mailer's The Executioner’s Song in the Fall. I didn’t even finish the preface. Did you ever see a copy of that book? I didn’t either until I received it in the mail packed in a shoebox. It is (and I am not exaggerating) over 4” thick. It is just sitting there on my shelf just taunting me.

3 comments:

KEITH said...

I feel the same way about The Dante Club.

Colleen said...

That was really good.

I need to get my shit together on that. Corey probably hates me deep inside because of that.

KEITH said...

I think he probably just hates Hilary and I. I mean, you were the only one that actually read the book.