Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hot Mess

Homegirl is.

She was at onetime my inspiration to hit the gym and now look at her… The thing is that I really liked her and didn’t hide it either. I was flipping through a CD book the other day looking for something and came upon the “Britney page” with …Baby one more time and Opps I did it again and Britney. Yes, I have them and I listened to them during her hayday. My favorite song from her first was “Born to Make You Happy” and loved the other more upbeat numbers from the following two. Sure there was total crap like “Email my Heart” and her cover of “The Beat Goes On” but there were some catchy gems in there. I know most people wouldn’t think of me as a Britney fan but I like pop music, even bubblegum pop. She was fresh and cute and a lot of fun. I was too young to be into Debbie Gibson, The Bangles, or Tiffany and I came of age during the grunge era where it was practically a crime to be a girly girl until Clueless and No Doubt came along. It was finally ok to wear lipstick shades aside from brown.

My heart goes out to the girl. Lord knows I had a train wreck period of my life but I didn’t have the world watching me make all those mistakes. I can’t imagine what hole I would have dug myself in if I had an infinite amount of cash and a team of people around me to pick up all that I let fall to the wayside. Her song “Lucky” foreshadowed this kind of apparent loneliness and isolation. Make fun of me if you must but I don’t think she will ever really recover from this and that makes me a little sad.

Whatev.

No comments: