Tuesday, March 27, 2007

ASI Management or Asinine Management

I am not liking my current situation at work. My computer is acting crazy and we don’t have a tech person on staff so when we have a problem we call this guy Roman who works upstairs in our building but happens to be in Moscow at the moment. Every time I seem to need him he is in Russia and the feeling of helplessness that ensues makes me want to close my office door and curl up into fetal position under my desk. I don’t like computery stuff because I don’t understand it and have no desire to. Mechanical stuff I get. I personally cannot do it without help but I have a good general knowledge and know why it isn’t working and what needs to be done. It’s a big part of my job. Computers, I am hopeless and helpless. I got so upset today that I couldn’t work on mine that I sat in the stairwell for 15 minutes with a box of Peeps and a mug of soymilk to calm down.

My bosses realize that since they threw another 500,000 sq.ft. office building (see picture) on me that I am spread a little too thin so they hired me an assistant. Doug is a 22 year old Wharton student who is taking a little time off to decide if business is what he really wants to do. Fair enough. His father thinks that he should work while he does that and asked the owner Alex to give him a job to do my filing and filtering my calls. After two weeks he left for Israel live in a kibbutz.

So now I am back to work through what seems like a mile long task list and return the 17 voice messages I received before 8:00am when I got in. Now I know what you are thinking, how does she have time to write this if she is so busy? Good question. I usually write these things while I eat my cereal in the morning and post them when I get a free moment during the day. This I am writing in the middle of the day since I have been on hold with Philadelphia’s L&I department (license and inspection) office for twenty minutes listening to Styx. A strange choice for “on hold” music but it is actually soothing.

Wait, I just got someone. Bye.

No comments: