Thursday, March 29, 2007

This One's Gonna Bruise


Today I need comfort music. I am in a needy mood and I want albums I can listen to all the way through. Singer songwriter music of the female persuasion is just the thing to make me feel loved on a day when I don’t have anybody around to tell me that I’m perfect the way I am and to never change. When I feel like this I always seem to go to the following albums. They are the music equivalent of mashed potatoes or chocolate cake; nothing fancy but the perfect thing to curl up on the couch with and make you feel all better. This is music for girls by girls. Check it out sisters:

Kasey Chambers – The Captain
I discovered her when I was 20 and I have been following this Australian country singer’s career since. I had just moved to Georgia, didn’t know a soul, and was terribly lonely. This album is probably one of the most important ones in my life so far. It got me through a rough time and I never get sick of playing it. The title track makes me cry still and putting it in my CD player feels like visiting an old friend.

Tori Amos – Boys for Pele
I first listened to this on the drive down to Lexington, Virginia in 1996 to visit my sister at college. The music paints dreamy landscapes and when I think back on my teenage years they seems like a dream too.

Patty Griffin – Living With Ghosts
Simply amazing. The one of the most highly regarded songwriters in the music biz. Her songs are covered by everybody but nobody does then better than Patty. Another album that makes me cry. I cry a lot listening to music.

Lucinda Williams – Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
Her best in my opinion though its impossible for her to write a bad song. Not on this album, but the song Essence she wrote with Ryan Adams is heart wrenchingly good.

Beth Orton – Daybreaker
Another big college album for me. This One’s Gonna Bruise is the perfect song when you are let down by a guy (or girl – no judgment here). Besides, who doesn’t love Beth? I’ve seen her every time she comes to town. So far four times.

Dar Williams – The Honesty Room
Changed my life. Simple as that.

2 comments:

Hadass said...

Ok, first of all, you are perfect and you should never change. Does that make you feel a little better? Cause it is true, and I am not just blowing smoke up your ass.

Kasey Chambers is amazing. Definitely a moody day kind of music. "The Captain" is a one of my favorite songs by her, but I also love "Dam", at least I think that is the name of it. Her voice is very haunting.

Another good moody day album to me is "August and Everything After" by the Counting Crows. That is one of my favorite albums of all time and every song on it is amazing to me. My favorites though for the moodiness is "Round Here" and "Time and Time Again".

I am feeling kind of moody today too. I just may have to break out Kasey and Adam on the way home.

KEITH said...

I second your perfectness and non-changeity.

With you there's never a dull moment.