Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Parataxic Distortion is Ruining My Relationships!

Yesterday I was skipping and practicing my whistling down Sansom Street on my daily trip to the bank when I stopped by Joseph Fox Bookstore, and saw a little book titled Weird and Wonderful Words in the window. I popped in purchased an autographed copy. It is a collection of unusual words that are rarely used even though they do exist in the English language. I decided I am going to have a “word of the day” that I will pick from the book and try to use it as many times during the day I can. This may make me look like a total dork but that should come as no surprise to anyone. Last night I curled up with my word book and found this fascinating term:

Parataxic [parr-uh-tack-sick]
Definition:
A term used by the psychologist H.S. Sullivan (1892-1949) to describe the condition in which subconscious attitudes or emotions affect relationships. A parataxic distortion is when you attribute traits of significant people in your past with whom you currently have a relationship. The opposite of parataxis is syntaxis, in which happy state of objectivity and the use of “consensually validated symbols” are the basis of communication.

Something to think about… Try to use it today!

No comments: